Saturday, August 13, 2011

Bon Voyage or "Yāt louh seuhn fùng"

James' sister, Courtney, brother-in-law, Brian, and mom and dad had a "Going away" dinner for us tonight, in honor of the fact that this will be our last weekend in Louisiana in at least 4 months.  Brian grilled steaks and chicken on the grill (yum) and they had an amazing chocolate Doberge cake made for us from Ambrosia Bakery (http://www.ambrosiabakery.com).  And in typical Melchers' thoughtful fashion, the cake had a special message written on it to help celebrate the occasion:


Fancy, huh?  Apparently, those symbols spell out "Bon Voyage" or "Yāt louh seuhn fùng" in Cantonese.  I had to take their word for it as I am not quite yet fluent in this language.  Later I looked it up in true nerd fashion, and sure as the world... the cake was 100% accurate.  Now, how cool is it that those symbols are a language that other people can read and understand?!  And how intimidated do I feel considering the fact that James and I are about to be completely submersed in this culture and language, and these symbols simply, to me, look like a stick figure person, standing in front of a bonfire, with three trees, a stick of dynamite and a brick (aka "Cold person in the forest who lost his house by blowing it up with dynamite")?  Close, right?


2 comments:

  1. "not quite fluent?" or, not a word... nice Tiff :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could "like" your post, James.

    Oh, and I adore the "cold person in the forest who lost his house by blowing it up with dynamite" interpretation. You will go far overseas.

    ReplyDelete