Tuesday, December 6, 2011

My favorite SIGNS . . . some literal, some figurative :)

James here.  As I usually have the camera when we take a trip or do a fun activity, occasionally I snap a shot or two of a sign that catches my eye.  Most posts about signs in Asia take a turn for the innuendo . . . I, instead, chose to forego the MANY signs that we saw this semester conveying mixed messages and instead focused my creativity that reminded me of something Tiffany and I have seen or something that is culturally funny to us 'Mericans.

Here's one - a sign from the rollercoasters in Ocean Park.  Almost 30 and yet, still having a great time!
Their hats said, really?  Yes, I would love to take a picture with you instead of scaring you.  (Also at Ocean Park for Halloween).
 
At this point, I was feeling very enlightened at the temple near Big Buddha.
  The street signs in Macau are cool. . . . mosaic tile, chinese characters and portuguese for the street names.
 A sign that I need to get a job . . .
 Sign demarking a shopping area in Malacca, Malaysia
 Fun that I still knew what I was getting in this can in Beijing!
 One of the best days of Tiffany and I's lives at the Great Wall!
 Signs of Civil Disobedience :-)
 How about this one -- really, Tiffany in a Panda hat is the best part of this pic!
 SIGN OF HAPPINESS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i.e., Starbucks.
 NO FEET!!!!!!!!!!!
 "STREET SIGNS" . . . kind of.
 Just so everyone knows that the workers will be extra lazy from November to March, during the slack season . . .
 OMG.  Comprehensive prohibitions: no motocross, planting flowers, using balance beams, taxis, causing rocks to levitate, bugling revelry, roller derby, acrobatic gymnastics, riflery, dogs on leases, buildings being demolished or campfires.
 This one is for my brother-in-law . . . who just broke his leg on a ladder.  Sorry bro!
 WHATEVER YOU DO.  DO NOT BURN YOUR PHOTOS IN THE HALL.
 Cannot find the subject of this sentence.
 Vietnamese propaganda near Ho Chi Minh's tomb . . .
 Restaurant in Vietnam . . . I just loved this angry, italianish cartoon that definitely says - hey, eat here!
 Here's a restaurant for angry waiter rehab.
 This sign was made of orange electric tape.  Pretty talented tape-user!
 Interesting confluence of two things I enjoy:
 Ok, one or two innuendos . . . but we Gamecocks always appreciate a shout out!
 THE BEST PIZZA IN HONG KONG.  OUR SALVATION from when tired of local cuisine.
 Again, a comprehensive list from an art gallery.  Certainly, the no photos is for the art, not taking a picture of the sign, right?
 WATCH OUT for that landslip!
 
 These are GREAT.  Legitimately on display at the Tea Museum.  Caption: "An old man is drinking tea"
 BAHAHAHA.  Caption: "A baby is drinking tea"
 NO CLIMBING!
 Ok, I couldn't resist:
 I liked this one for the "no spitting" and the rather ambiguous "no bending forward"
 Here's a pretty awesome museum sign.  The man in the speedo says - check me out!
 DON'T you DARE STRIDE OVER THIS.
 Tiffany found this one!
 Ew.  Keep that to yourself
 Tiffany and I at the Jumbo Restaurant in HK.  A must-do for any visitor because of the long history of the boat as a tourist attraction.

As always . . . BRINGIN THE FIYA on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment